Mishalish Insight

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Girls and schooling: Their own critique -

This article touches on the experiences girls face as simply being a female student in high school its negative implications. The article was based mainly on research through interviewing students from a wide variety of ethnic, social, and religous backgrounds. Mainly the females felt at disadvantage in some shape or form; this was often manifested in being treated as incompetent in traditionally masculine school subjects or being treated as an object to "oogle" over and sometimes simply feeling intimated by a male teacher. There were some extreme cases in which females were directly yelled at or told they would not be sucessful.

I found this article very intriguing, as my experience does not even remotely parallel with this article at all. Checking the publishing date, it was not written much earlier than my high school experience. When I was in high school I was never belittled or intimidated by any of my male teachers and quite often I was encouraged to pursue science type courses and often counselled on what type of high school courses I should take in regards to the type of university degree I wanted to pursue. After reading this article I was quite sad to see how many horrible teachers have been out there. I hope that this repression on females has started to change and that many more females are able to have schooling experiences similar to mine.

After expressing my opinion on the horrors of terrible teachers, I also conisder in some cases where females are intimidated by their male teachers might also just be a factor of puberty and unfamiliarity with the opposite sex? There might be some amazing male teachers, but regardless and insecure teenage girl might be more uncomfortable around him. I wonder if this could be changed a little if the number of elementary male teachers increased, therefore, increasing the normalcy of male teachers in the education system altogether. Maybe if girls were taught from a young age by males, it would be less likely to be so difficult in high school?

1 Comments:

At 4:55 AM, Blogger Robert said...

" wonder if this could be changed a little if the number of elementary male teachers increased, therefore, increasing the normalcy of male teachers in the education system altogether. Maybe if girls were taught from a young age by males, it would be less likely to be so difficult in high school?" Very interesting question! But of course it is a "double or nothing" bet, because if male teachers are problematic for female students, extending the length of teaching by males could make things worse, not better..... I think most of my male students will be fine teachers of girls ...but there are always a few who express attitudes towards women and girls that make ME extremely nervous to unleash them on the classroom....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home