Mishalish Insight

Sunday, January 22, 2006

Yes: The Trouble With Television~Marie Winn

Winn's article reasons television is harmful for children based on numerous factors relating to the activities they miss out on, lack of interactive engagement, the behaviours it creates, etc.
Winn argues that by watching tv, children miss out on family quality time or engaging in other play that stimulates higher cognitive processess. She also believes tv is a cop out to spending time with children as tv is much easier than taking time to read or play with children.

I beileve that the amount of chidren spend in front of the tv is excessive and in agreement with Winn, I believe tv can be harmful to children when in excess and when they are not properly educated about it. Winn states that children prefer tv because it is more stimulating, and I agree with this, but I think that in today's society, as a parent it could be potentially dangerous to deprive a child of tv watching, as they might rebel and watch tv at a friends house. A better solution would be to treat television as a priveledge, limit the amount of time spent in front of a television, and discuss programs and movies with children. We can still use tv to educate children and talk to them to develop reflective, synthesizing and critical thinking skills.

1 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger Nate said...

Some of the best nights spent with my kids are the ones that the tv never gets turned on. For some reason my boys don’t seem to settle down for bedtime if they are watching a show that ends just before bed. They would rather play and read a story, and I would like to hold onto that for as long as possible. Not saying tv is evil but I would rather be tiered the next day knowing that I still have a relationship with my kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home