Mishalish Insight

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

GUEST SPEAKER- February 1, 2006

The presentation today was quite appealing, especially after reading the article about Aboriginal Education. Today he discussed how important it is to know our heritage and past to better understand who we are today and the people that we will teach. He talked about the history of the First Nations and how it is often on the "hush hush" in conversation and education to avoid discomfort. He wanted to create an awareness of the Aboriginal culture, both past and present to protray how intolerance can affect, sometimes destroy, other cultures. I believe he was hoping to instill an awareness of Native culture, not soley for the First Nations, but also for any other child with a diverse ethnic background that will be in our classrooms.

I agree that it is very important to know the history of the area one is to teach in and to have a cultural awareness of the students on is to teach. I think no matter where I teach, whether Alberta or India, it is important for me to know the historical background of where I am to better understand any possible tensions and to know the cultural context in which I am to teach. Once having this foundation set, I will relate much better to my students rather than making assumptions based on inadequate obesrvations about the attitudes, beliefs and events that occur around me.

1 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger kels said...

I agree with you Michelle, I think that having an understanding of the different cultures in our classrooms would be beneficial. I think it would be difficult to address every students heritage. However, what do you think about having a multi-cultural day? I think that might be the best way to meet every students unique heritage.

Kelsey

 

Post a Comment

<< Home